Friday, January 18, 2008

Winter's Dead Center

white & nerdy

As I write this (Fri. eve) the temperature outside is -6F and tumbling towards the teens below. Saturday's forecasted high is -2F. WOO-HOO! you got to dig it, I mean, this is it, the absolute dead of winter! From here on out it's just another day closer to spring...

We have had it pretty good this winter so far, it is mid January and we have had no real long-term plunges into the sub-zero range. I find myself hoping for a good wallop of arctic air this weekend, after all, what is a Minnesota winter without some real snow and cold? As we all know, heading into February, Old Man Winter's grip starts to slip. The sun climbs higher, daylight is more plentiful, and before you know it... dandelions!

Seriously, winters have never seemed shorter since I started xc skiing. Here in Minnesota, at our local latitude, the best we can hope for is a 100 ski day season. Suddenly, a hundred days of winter never seemed so short!

So I say; sock it to us Mother Nature and Old Man Winter! Lets see what you got!!

On a side note, I am pleased to report that I have been successfully hitting the prescribed marks on my training schedule. EVEN if it means mindlessly spinning my white legs on a trainer in front of the tube!

2 comments:

nerdman said...

it is pretty clear that you have been skiing and riding a lot!

nerdman said...

double century? oh, right, you have your own problems.